Our regular open Software Carpentry and Data Carpentry workshops help researchers gain the skills needed to write reliable software and analyse their research data. This increases their productivity and the reproducibility of their research outputs.
Anyone can attend an open workshop, from any discipline, from PhD students to professors. They’re very popular, with the last few selling out in just over two hours. We aim to run an open workshop every six months.
In addition to our free, open workshops, we provide paid-for private training for CDTs and research groups.
Although we can tailor the curriculum, a typical two-day workshop provides an introduction to:
- Bash: master the command line to manipulate files and their contents.
- Python: rapidly becoming the most popular programming language in academia. Alternatively, the statistical programming language R.
- Git / Version control: keep track of your code, collaborate with others and aid reproducibility.
Data Carpentry develops and teaches workshops on the fundamental data skills needed to conduct research.
- Data Organisation in Spreadsheets: make your spreadsheets work for you.
- Data Cleaning with OpenRefine: get your data match-fit.
- R and Rstudio: an introduction to the statistical programming language.
- Data Management with SQL: an introduction to relational databases, loading data and querying.
- Software Carpentry: March 2019: a dedicatied workshop for 26 NEXUSS / Spitfire CDT students held at the Jurys Inn Hotel, Southampton.
- Software Carpentry: September 2018: a dedicated workshop for 20 NEXUSS CDT students held at the National Oceanography Centre.
- Software Carpentry: April 2018: an open workshop for 90 people held in the Nightingale and EEE buildings.
- Carpentry Instructor Training: December 2017: Trained 17 software and data carpentry instructors.
- Software Carpentry: November 2017: a workshop for South East Physics Network DISCnet CDT.
- Data Carpentry: August 2017: an open workshop for 50 people held in the Life Sciences building.
- Software Carpentry: August 2017: a open workshop for 30 people held in the Life Sciences building.
- Software Carpentry: November 2016: a dedicated workshop for the ESRC DTC at the Highfield House Hotel.
- Software Carpentry: August 2016: an open workshop for 40 people held in the EEE building.
- Software Carpentry: December 2015: an open workshop for 90 people held in the Life Sciences building.
- Software Carpentry: September 2015: an open workshop for 45 people held in the EEE building.
- Software Carpentry: June 2015: a workshop for Next Generation Computational Modelling CDT students.
- Software Carpentry: May 2014: a workshop for 30 people held in the National Oceanography Centre.